Thursday, July 19, 2012

Gluten Free Cornbread

Every Southern cook knows that cornbread is an essential food to have on the table.  It is also the base for good southern dressing, which is what I was needing to cook today.  Don't expect a recipe for my dressing, though.  I don't have one, because I just throw it all together.  But in order to work my magic and make gluten free dressing, I first had to make a good gluten free cornbread.  First try was ok, but too cake-like.  Second try is much better, still not quite the same consistency as what I am accustomed, but it is pretty close.  I am going to continue working on this in the hopes of hitting the exact same consistency we have had in the past.  This looks and tastes like regular cornbread.


CORNBREAD

1 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup rice flour (I use my homemade version.)
1/3 cup gluten free baking flour
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup skim milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  If using a cast iron skillet to bake your cornbread, spray it with non-stick gluten free cooking spray and place in oven to preheat as well.

Mix together all dry ingredient.  Add milks, egg, and oil.  Pour batter into preheated cast iron skillet.  (regular baking pans do not need to be preheated.)  Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown.  Turn out on plate with a knife underneath to prevent it from sticking.


Enjoy Gluten-free southern cooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment