Thursday, July 5, 2012

Gluten-Free Chocolate Melting Cake - Delicious!

I guess at this point it is obvious that I have had the day off since this is the third post of the day.  However, this was one post that I just couldn't wait to share.  I have just modified a recipe for Chocolate Melting Cake and added my own little twist to it.  (We like dark chocolate in our house, so that is my twist.)

We have been on Carnival for two different cruises now.  The first time, Bailey was not gluten intolerant.  This last time, however, she was.  The one disappointment she was facing was not being able to have any of their chocolate melting cake.  What is really great about Carnival and other cruise lines is that they have anticipate dietary needs.  They had a gluten-free chocolate melting cake.  Needless to say, it was divine.  So, I began my quest to find an equivalent recipe and modify it.  I have done just that.  So, if you are looking for a great dessert, especially a gluten-free one, this is perfect!  (I will include directions to modify it to a non-gluten free recipe.) I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we did.

Gluten-Free Chocolate Melting Cake

7 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
8 oz. dark chocolate chips
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1/2 cup gluten-free baking flour (1/2 cup all purpose flour for those who can have gluten)
1/4 tsp. guar gum (this is only needed for the gluten-free version)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

Melt chocolate chips and butter together.  Mix to blend.  Set aside to cool.

While chocolate mixture is cooling, whisk 4 eggs together with the sugar.  Add flour and guar gum.  Whisk until smooth.  Add remaining eggs.  Whisk until smooth.  Add cooled chocolate mixture. 

Coat ramekins or individual baking dishes with a very light coat of oil.  (I used olive oil.)  Divide mixture between baking dishes.  Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until it looks done.  Baking time will depend upon the size of your baking dishes.  Ours are large, so it actually took 22 minutes.  Remove from oven.  The chocolate inside will be melted.  Serve warm and enjoy.

You can dust this with powdered sugar and/or serve with vanilla ice cream as they do on the cruise ships.




1 comment: