Thursday, July 26, 2012

Cornbread Perfected and Gluten-free Blackberry Jello Cake

Well, I did it. I actually made cornbread today that looks like cornbread, tastes like cornbread, and is the consistency of regular gluten-filled cornbread, but it is gluten-free. I was so excited. So, I want to Share this with all of you. The key to it was my homemade rice flour. I guess the third time really is the charm.  Bailey liked the dressing I made from this last week.  This week's version of Chicken and Dressing was spot on because I managed to make cornbread that was just like cornbread should be.  I am enjoying creating gluten-free versions of some of our favorite southern foods. 

One thing I have found discouraging is that when I have looked for gluten-free recipes, too often I find recipes of things that would naturally be gluten-free.  I don't need recipes for things like fruit salad, sauteed vegetables, etc.  I needed to find recipes for those traditionally southern foods that my daughter has grown to love.  Chicken and Dressing happens to be one of those things which was why I was trying to perfect cornbread.  By Thanksgiving, I should be able to fix that traditional Thanksgiving meal for Bailey, complete with stuffing, homemade rolls, and her favorite Pumpkin pie.  But for now, I am just happy to have figured out cornbread.

One of our family favorites is the old fashioned Blackberry Wine Cake.  However, there are many people who will not make it because of the wine part.  Because of that, I am also including a recipe for gluten-free blackberry jello cake.



CORNBREAD

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup rice flour (I use my homemade version.)
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  If using a cast iron skillet to bake your cornbread, spray it with non-stick gluten free cooking spray and place in oven to preheat as well. Mix together all dry ingredient.  Add milks, egg, and oil.  Pour batter into preheated cast iron skillet.  (regular baking pans do not need to be preheated.)  Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown.  Turn out on plate with a knife underneath to prevent it from sticking to plate.



BLACKBERRY JELLO CAKE

1 Pamela's Gluten-Free White Cake Mix (prepare according to package directions)
2 boxes Blackberry Fusion Jello
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1 canister cream cheese frosting, whipped

Prepare cake mix according to package directions, except you need to add one box of the jello to the batter. After it is baked, cool it. While cooling, mix together remaining box of Jello with the boiling water. When disolved, add the cold waret. Once thr cake is cool, use a small dowel stick (or chop stick) to poke holes in the cake. Pour the liquid jello all over the cake, saturating it well. Place in refrigerator to completely cool. Once it is cold, frost with whipped cream cheese frosting. If you can't find the whipped type, use the regular, but whip it with electric mixer on high until light and fluffy. This cake flavor will remind you of the old Blackberry Wine Cake.

Enjoy, gluten-free southern cooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment