Thursday, November 1, 2012

I have been away from the blog for a little while.  My daughter is off at college which means that I am not having to do quite as much gluten free cooking.  However, the holidays are coming up.  This means that I will be doing quite a bit of cooking again.  Over the next few weeks, I will be working on some of the things that my daughter has requested or is desperately craving.  These are foods taht you and I take for granted.

She wants broccoli cheese soup in a bread bowl like she gets at Panera Bread.
She wants a Subway sandwich on bread that is not of the consistency most gluten free breads are.
She wants a hamburger on a real bun.
She misses oreos, twix and milano cookies
She has a craving for Red Lobster's biscuits as well as biscuits and white gravy (made with flour, not corn starch).
She wants to make a waffle in a waffle machine and enjoy fluffy pancakes. 
Oh, and two more things...toasted garlic bread and chicken nuggets.

You can see I have my work cut out for me.  All of this along with a traditional thanksgiving meal followed by a traditional Christmas meal.  Thanksgiving will be easy now that I have pretty much perfected my gluten free cornbread and cornbread dressing.  Now I have to perfect making fluffy rolls.  I am going to try something new with our Pamela's bread mix.  It can be made using a mixer which means that I am going to try mixing it a little more to get some extra air into it before letting it rise.  Also before it rises, I am going to be putting carefully removed pieces of the bread mix into muffin tins in order to get my rolls just right.  I will let you all know how that turns out.

I am also working on a pumpkin pie for my daughter.  I found a recipe for pumpkin mousse that she might like, but it still won't be pumpkin pie. 

Finding gluten free recipes is quite easy.  I have cookbooks.  I can find recipes online.  However, as I have stated previously, with my daughter recently needing to be gluten free, she is not pleased with the flavor of most gluten free recipes.  I am attempting to make sure that I can take our regular recipes or the things that I cook and recreate them with the same flavor in a gluten free version.

As I said, I will keep you informed about everything that I make and then when I get it right, I will share my recipe with you.  Happy gluten free living.

No comments:

Post a Comment